I love broccoli, and jump at nearly every opportunity to incorporate it into my meals. I also really love asparagus. While Kristina was busy creating her “Baked Brie with Balsamic Maple Syrup Reduction” I went to my comfort foods. Also, Publix was having a sale on asparagus and broccoli…
I found this recipe on Pinterest a while ago…but I have changed it significantly enough that posting the original would not be a fair representation of what I cooked today!
Ingredients: (they are vague, but customizable depending on state of hunger and number of people eating!)
- Broccoli florets (as much as you want)
- Asparagus (cut in half…again as much as you want)
- Olive Oil (enough to lightly coat the vegetables…a small drizzle!)
- Garlic cloves (depends on how much you like garlic. I enjoy garlic so I use a bit more than most people. Slice the garlic into slivers)
- Black Pepper (enough to taste)
- Sea Salt (VERY small amount)
- Parsley (a few shakes)
The process is extraordinarily easy.
1. First combine the ingredients in a bowl with a lid (I used a regular prep bowl and find a sauce lid that covered it)
2. Shake the contents of the bowl so that the olive oil covers everything, and the spices are thoroughly mixed.
3. Place now combined items onto a baking tray with tin foil (easy to clean up!)
4. Bake in oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Broccoli should be crispy (slightly brown but not burnt!) when done.
This dish has converted Kristina from having an arch-nemesis relationship with broccoli to a relatively peaceful detente with the lovely vegetable. That is a success in my book!
Kristina: Fine, broccoli has not defeated me yet.
Jenni: I could probably eat this every day.